At this point you should have selected one of the social issues presented in weeks 2-4 (language and power; freedom and security; health and wealth) as the focus of your Case Study Project. For this assignment, you will begin to gather evidence from the course readings related to your chosen social issue. You will use this textual evidence to support your claims in your Case Study Project.
Review the course readings related to your selected social issue, select 4-6 key quotes from the reading selections, and complete the following:
· Give the bibliographic information for the reading selection source in APA format
· Give the exact quote and page number
· Paraphrase the quote and provide an in-text citation.
· Explain why you selected the quote and how the quote relates to your selected social issue and your perspective on the issue
· Indicate your topic, thesis, and reasons
· Give 4-6 quote log “entries” where you provide the required information (see above under content)
· Review the sample quote log below.
Grammar and Mechanics
· Your paper should be written according to the standards for academic writing, with attention to the following:
o punctuation: this includes things such as proper use of commas, colons, and apostrophes.
o word-level accuracy: this includes things such as proper capitalization, spelling, word-tense, and usage.
o sentence-level accuracy: this includes things such as proper sentence boundaries, subject-verb agreement, and pronoun-antecedent agreement.
· Take time to proofread after you’ve written your essay. Think about the kinds of writing mistakes you tend to make (like using “text-speak” or sentence fragments) and watch out for those. Reading your paper aloud is a good way to catch any mistakes.
Sources and Documentation
· You are required to use three sources for this assignment. Your sources should be selected from the assigned course readings on your selected issue (language and power; freedom and security; health and wealth).
· For each source, you should include APA-style reference citations and in-text citations
Format and Length
· Your quote log should include a proper header and title.
· Your quote log should be typed, double-spaced and in 12-point font.
· Your final product should include log entries for 4-6 quotes. Each entry should be about 150 words in length, for a total of 600-900 words.
Social Issue: Education and Empowerment
Education and Empowerment
Contrary to popular opinion, education does not always lead to empowerment.
(1) Everyone does not have access to a quality education.
(2) Even with a quality education, lucrative employment opportunities are not guaranteed.
(3) Educated individuals may still face discrimination and other inequities that limit opportunities for success.
Anyon, J. (2016). Social class and the hidden curriculum of work. In G. Columbo (Ed.), Rereading America: Cultural Contexts for Critical Thinking and Writing (10th ed.) (pp. 136-153). Bedford St. Martin’s.
“Basil Bernstein, Pierre Bourdieu, and Michael W. Apple, focusing on school knowledge, have argued that knowledge and skills leading to social power and regard (medical, legal, managerial) are made available to the advantaged social groups but are withheld from the working classes, to whom a more ‘practical curriculum’ is offered (manual skills, clerical knowledge) ” (Anyon, 2016, p. 137).
Several researchers have pointed out that schools provide upper class students with the knowledge and skills needed for prestigious occupations. Such knowledge and skills are not given to students in the working class. Working class students are only provided with knowledge and skills for manual and clerical jobs (Anyon, 2016).
Explanation of quote selection and connection:
I selected this quote because it illustrates the difference in the quality of education students from various social class backgrounds receive. In order to get a high quality education that leads to well-paying jobs, you have to be a student from an upper class family. Without access to a quality education, it is impossible to have opportunities for success. Education will only empower those students who are lucky enough to receive a quality education.
Purnell, J. Q. (2015). Financial health is public health. What It’s Worth: Strengthening the Financial Futures of Families, Communities, and the Nation. http://www.strongfinancialfuture.org/essays/financial-health-is-public-health/
· Clay, R. A. (2001, October). Wealth secures health. Monitor on Psychology. http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct01/wealthhealth.aspx
· Saplosky, R.M. (2018). The health-wealth gap. Scientific American, 319(5). http://ezproxy.umgc.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edb&AN=132271091&site=eds-live&scope=site
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.