Instructions for Gender Cultural Product Assignment
Purpose: This assignment is intended to help you explore the ways in which gender is socially constructed and maintained through culture, and to illustrate mastery of the core concepts concerning gender theory i.e. difference, power, privilege, gender hierarchy, history of social movements, race, social class, sexual orientation, etc.
Audience: As with all academic writing, your audience is the educated general reader. This means that your paper should make sense to someone who has not taken this class and does not have any particular knowledge about your topic or women’s studies.
Directions: For this paper, you will analyze how a particular cultural product (of your choosing) constructs gender (masculinity and femininity). Whatever cultural product you choose, you will need to focus your analysis on the following questions:
· What is the male or female learning about masculinity and femininity in that cultural setting?
· Is there evidence of gender stereotyping and/or gender hierarchy in respect to women and men in positions of power?
· What messages overt or covert does this cultural product send to men and women about how they are supposed to act and what qualities are valued in men and women?
· How does your gender cultural product intersect with other social hierarchies related to the cultural product for example race, class, sexual orientation, age, religion, etc.
· Is there evidence of privilege, objectification, gender ranking, or gender policing?
· What conclusions can you draw, from doing this assignment, about the way gender is constructed, learned and maintained?
To help you successfully complete this assignment, it has been broken down into several steps to ensure that you are making steady progress throughout the semester and so that I can offer you guidance and feedback at crucial junctures.
Step One: Gender Cultural Product Topic Selection (DUE BY 11/1)
● Identify the gender cultural product have you chosen and explain how you intend to go about you analysis. For example if you are interested in analyzing a particular TV show, how will you focus your analysis – will you look at a particular season or episode or focus on a particular character of relationship?
Cultural product(s) include:
· Literature— a short story, novel, poem or play
· Music— a song, album, video or performer
· Cinema or Television— a film or TV series
· Advertising— a specific ad or an ad campaign—print, internet, or television.
· Print media— a specific magazine
· Fashion— a specific article of clothing or fashion within a specific era
· Toys— a specific toy or a category of toys (Barbie, Rag Dolls, G.I. Figures, Appliances, etc.)
· Visual Art: photography, painting, sculpture.
· Movie Analysis: Analyze how gender is constructed in a particular Disney movie – what does this film teach young boys and girls about gender roles and norms? Does it reinforce gender stereotypes or break them?
· Advertising: Compare the advertisements in a traditional men’s magazine (ESPN magazine, Men’s Health) and a traditional women’s magazine (Glamour, Cosmopolitan). Or a campaign that challenges beauty ideals or gender norms like Dove’s “Campaign for Real Beauty.”
· Fashion: Choose an article of clothing such as the bra, the miniskirt, the thong, high heels, the speedo, and what do these articles of clothing say about what men and women should do and how they should present themselves if adhering to gender norms.
Step Two: Annotated Bibliography (DUE BY 11:22)
To help ground your analysis in gender studies theory and scholarship, you are required to do some research into the topic you are writing about.
You are required to use a minimum of 3 sources, one of which must be a scholarly peer-reviewed source that you acquire through the library databases (such as an article in a scholarly journal). Utilizing scholarly sources—sources from peer-reviewed journals—will improve the level of your analysis. You may use articles from our course text, but not exclusively. You may also use sources from popular media outlets, but their credibility must be evaluated appropriately.
For the annotated bibliography, you will need to list each source that you will use in your paper and write a brief description (annotation) summarizing the authors’ qualifications, research methods, and arguments, and explaining how this source supports the theme of your paper – in other words, how will you be using this source and how is it helpful to you.
Step three: Final Paper (DUE BY 12/6)
· Minimum 4-6 pages typed in Times New Roman 12-pt font, double-spaced with 1” margins. The Works Cited page is not included in the assigned page length.
· Remember to integrate the sources into your analysis with appropriate introduction, qualifiers, and to document the sources with academic integrity.
· MLA style format and documentation for parenthetical citations and a Works Cited page.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.