ALL THE RESOURCES ARE INCLUEDE, NO EXTRA NEEDED
1. Choose ONE COMMERCIAL from the attached list. WATCH IT AT LEAST THREE times before you begin.
2. RE-READ Roland Barthes, MYTH TODAY and one of the other theorists we have read during this unit (from week that you decide will help you to analyze the specific commercial you have chosen :: Adorno & Horkheimer, Williams, Althusser, Fanon, Baudrillard, hooks, Mulvey, Doane, Feuer, Sterne, or Couldry.
3. YOUR 3-4 page paper will offer a CLOSE READING of the commercial you have chosen. Your essay needs to answer the questions: 1) What FORMAL and RHETORICAL strategies does the commercial use to sell its product and the associations with the product? 2) How does your commercial illustrate the role of ideology in society that Barthes and one other theorist explain?
In other words, What is the commercial is SELLING and HOW is it selling it? In addition to a product, WHAT ELSE is the commercial selling in terms of its AFFIRMATIONS of SOCIETY, IDENTITY, STEREOTYPES, MYTHS through its representation of the product?
In order to do this, you must connect a detailed description of WHAT YOU SEE and HEAR ON SCREEN (the style of the editing, cinematography, the way things are framed and presented, etc.) with an analysis of the IDEOLOGICAL CONTENT – or what Barthes refers to as MYTHIC SPEECH. The point of the essay is to ground an understanding of the function of commercials and advertising in a detailed analysis of ONE COMMERCIAL – to do this you will need to identify the RHETORICAL strategies that are used in the commercial to connect DENOTATIVE MEANINGS with MYTHIC SPEECH and the way in which the commercial INTERPELLATES the viewer.
4. THE BODY OF YOUR ESSAY will be comprised of detailed FORMAL descriptions of the scenes from the commercial, calling attention to what is significant about the SOUND and IMAGE and how that figures into the VARIOUS LEVELS OF MEANING / MESSAGES of the COMMERCIAL. Each paragraph should focus on ONE of the messages of the commercial and how it is constructed formally and rhetorically. This means that you will need to identify the SPECIFIC strategy/strategies that the commercial uses to naturalize its message (what Barthes refers to as FIGURES of RHETORIC on pages 150-156 in “Myth Today.” (See handout).
In your analysis of the rhetorical strategies of the commercial, you need to refer to BARTHES text explicitly by including AT LEAST ONE QUOTATION from BARTHES.
5. The final paragraph of the essay should summarize your thesis and then point to how this connects to the function of ideology in society more broadly. In this paragraph – you need to choose ONE of the OTHER theorists to support your argument – and include a QUOTATION from that text. (So your paper needs to have a minimum of TWO QUOTATIONS from TWO DIFFERENT TEXTS — one from Barthes and one from another theorist that WE HAVE READ IN CLASS). You can refer to the other theorist in the body of the essay — but you need to use another theorist in the last paragraph.
6. Be sure to proofread your paper by reading it aloud. AND Be sure to indicate WHICH COMMERCIAL you are responding to in the TITLE OF YOUR PAPER.
7. Papers will be graded on the strength and originality of your analysis, organization, your grasp of Barthes’ argument, clarity of writing, and grammar. This paper counts for 15% of your grade. Late papers will be penalized.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.