ENGL102 ASSIGNMENT 1 (Section A)
For this first half of Assignment 1 (Section A), you must write on ONE topic only.
CHOOSE ONE topic: EITHER Animal Farm OR Fight Club.
Submission date: 14 December 2020
NB: Please note that the requirements below apply to both topics:
Length: 500 words MAXIMUM
Font: Times New Roman; 1.5 Spacing; Size 12
Plagiarism: Plagiarism is the presentation of work that has been copied in whole or in part from another person’s work, or from any other source such as published books, periodicals, internet, even verbally without due acknowledgement in the text. Plagiarism is considered a contravention of Rule 9(e)(i)(ff) of the UKZN Student Disciplinary Rules Handbook (2004). For more detailed information on plagiarism see the UKZN Plagiarism Policy:
Declaration: I affirm that this assignment is my own work, that all acknowledgments have been properly made, and that I have read and understood the UKZN Plagiarism Policy.
NB: Please include this Plagiarism Declaration in your assignment!
Important Information: Please Read!!
• Please give explanations based on specific examples from the chapters you are asked to focus on, and avoid generalised responses
• As evidence of your close-text reading, please give direct quotations from, and page references to the novels (see eBooks on Moodle). You only need to reference page numbers in your assignment unless you are referencing critical articles. In that case, you are expected to properly acknowledge & reference borrowed ideas, via the established academic conventions (as per ‘Brief Referencing Guide’). See: ‘Plagiarism’ statement, above.
• Please DO NOT PLAGIARISE! Do not simply copy and paste from the Lecture Slides, or from online sources (including Sparknotes/Cliffnotes etc).
• Please also do not use paraphrasing software! ENGL102 markers will be able to identify this type of plagiarism. Please answer in your own words, unless you are quoting from the novel.
• This is a 1 page essay, so your answer should be brief and to the point. Please do not write more.
• Any quotes you choose contribute towards your word count, so please plan your answers accordingly
Section A: Option 1
Animal Farm (1945)
Read the following extract from Chapter 7 (VII) of Animal Farm and answer the question that follows:
“Whatever happened [Clover] would remain faithful, work hard, carry out
the orders that were given to her, and accept the leadership of Napoleon.
But still, it was not for this that she and all the other animals had hoped and
toiled. It was not for this that they had built the windmill and faced the
bullets of Jones’s gun. Such were her thoughts, though she lacked the words
to express them” (Orwell, 1945: 34)
Using this statement as a starting point, discuss Orwell’s satirical depiction of political power in Animal Farm (1945) by highlighting how the pigs maintain control of the other animals. In your answer, provide examples from Chapter 7 (VII) to illustrate your response.
You may consider in your analysis:
• What satire is, and how Orwell employs it in this story to demonstrate the corrupting influence of power/control.
• The pigs’ use of violence/displays of violence and what these achieve.
• The pigs’ use of propaganda and control of language to maintain power over the other animals (it may be useful to focus on Squealer and his function in the story)
• The other animals’ responses to the pigs’ methods of control and whether or not these methods are effective.
This assignment requires a close-text reading of Chapters 7 (VII), so please avoid general responses.
These points are only there as a guideline, so please do not answer in point form.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.