Thomas Jefferson University
Jefferson College of Nursing
Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
NU706 Healthcare Quality and Patient Safety
Quality Improvement Paper
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to cause extraordinary human suffering and socioeconomic hardship, while taxing overburdened health care systems and its workforce. On May 15th the US Department of Health and Human Services launched Operation Warp Speed (OWS), a partnership between the federal government and industry to develop, manufacture and deliver 300 million doses of a safe and effective vaccine to the American people by January 2021(https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/explaining-operation-warp-speed/index.html). As of November 1, 2020, eleven COVID-19 vaccine candidates were in phase 3 clinical trials (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html). The first doses of a safe and effective coronavirus vaccine will likely become available in late December or early January. Nurses will be early recipients of any approved vaccines.
Nurses play a prominent role in the vaccine uptake process. They are instrumental in counseling patients, families, and the public about the benefits, risks and safety of vaccines, and spend considerable time administering vaccines. There is also evidence that indicates that health care providers who are vaccinated themselves are more likely to recommend vaccination to their patients. The COVID-19 vaccine will be no different. As the largest and most trusted group of health care professionals, nurses have a key role in public awareness and education when any vaccine. With this in mind, the American Nurses Association (ANA) Enterprise and the American Nurses Foundation conducted a survey to explore nurses’ knowledge of and attitude toward COVID-19 vaccine development. From October 1-14, 2020, 12,939 nurses responded to the survey, providing insight into nurses’ perspectives on the COVID-19 vaccine development process.
Purpose: This assignment provides students the opportunity to write a Quality Improvement (QI) Project Charter using the Model for Improvement. The QI Project topic is: Improve nurse awareness of the COVID-19 vaccine development process in your clinical/workplace setting. Note: this is a theoretical project, you will not be implementing the project.
1. Contact Dr. Manning if you have any questions regarding this assignment. Please do this well in advance of the assignment deadline.
2. Students may work individually or in groups up to three.
3. Watch the free ANA webinar on “The State of COVID-19 Vaccine Development: What You Need to Know.” To access, go to the ANA website (https://www.nursingworld.org). Click on COVID-19 Resource Center, click on Learn More. Scroll to middle of page and select ANA’s COVID-19 Video Education Series. Select Vaccines. On the left side of the page select, “The State of COVID-19 Vaccine Development: What You Need to Know.” Register for the free webinar which also provides 1 CNE. The video provides survey results. NOTE: make sure to claim the CNE and save a copy of the CNE certificate. You will need to attached it to your paper.
4. Consider the following – you work in your current position/s. (If you are not working, please complete the assignment based on a previous nursing position.) After watching the video and reviewing the available survey results, you are committed to improve nurse awareness of the COVID-19 vaccine development process in your clinical setting. As an expert clinician and DNP student enrolled in a patient safety and health care quality course, you asked your department director (or equivalent) if you could launch/lead a QI initiative. Your director asked you to draft a brief QI project charter using the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Quality Improvement Project Charter (page 5-7).
5. Write a 4-5 page project charter paper. The pages do not include the title page or reference page/s. Do not include an abstract.
Introduction (1 paragraph)
Let’s the reader know what to expect from the paper, frames the problem. Note: if working in a group, select one setting and indicate why.
Three Key Questions for Improvement
1. What are we trying to accomplish?
Includes all elements on the IHI Template for QI Project Charter (Model for Improvement). Aim statement is a specific, measurable, time-sensitive statement of expected results of the QI process.
2. How will we know the change is an improvement?
List at least one outcome measure, one process measure and one balancing measure.
3. What changes can we make that will result in improvement?
Includes initial activities, idea/s for initial tests of change (PDSA), key stakeholders, barriers, and boundaries. Include two ideas for PDSA cycles.
The final paragraph should convey a sense of completeness and closure as well as a sense of lingering possibility of the topic, its larger meaning, its implications: the final paragraph should close the discussion without closing it off.
Minimum 6 supporting references. Two of these must be the ANA survey and the ANA webinar.
Attach: The “State of COVID-19 Vaccine
Development: What You Need to Know” completion certificate (if working as a group submit a certificate for each student). No points but 10 points deducted for not including each certificate
Correct APA format. Use headings. Up to 10 points can be deducted for incorrect format. Five points will be deducted for each page exceeding the page limit.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.