Fishy Farm is a small business located in the mountains of southwestern Virginia. The business is actually a commercial fish hatchery dedicated to raising the finest freshwater sport fish in the area including trout, bass and perch. The area has an abundance of fresh water clear mountain streams, which provide the natural resource for fish breading and raising.
JB Nathan is the founder and owner of Fishy Farm. An avid fisherman himself, JB has always had an interest in this type of business. He was able to purchase land and convert it into a fish hatchery by building breeding and holding fish tanks near several mountain streams which flowed through his property. Formally, JB worked for a state fish hatchery about 50 miles to the north in Possum Creek, and used this hands on experience to start his own business.
JB hired an independent accountant to keep his records for the last few years, but felt, just like raising fish, he could learn how to do the bookkeeping activities on his own. Before taking on this additional duty, he wanted to practice recording several accounting activities related to the company and determine if he could develop the appropriate financial statements. He decided to begin with the balance sheet that was prepared for him as of the close of business on December 31, 20×0. He was going to review all of the activities which took place during the month of January 20×1 and see if he could develop a correct income statement for the month and a new balance sheet as of January 31, 20×1. This was probably a good month to experiment with the accounting process, because business was slow during the colder winter months. He wanted to be sure he was comfortable with the accounting process before things began to get real busy with fish breeding in the spring.
During January he purchased a new water filtration system which will clean and aerate the water in the holding tanks and make it suitable for recycling. The fresher water should promote better conditions for faster fish growth and allow JB to sell larger fish more quickly. The equipment cost $16,000 and he paid 10% down and signed an 8% 5-year note for the balance due. He was also able to sell a used pump to a neighbor for its book value of $350.
JB works alone on Fishy Farm although sometimes work gets busy in the spring and summer months. When necessary he gets his wife or neighbors to help him with moving equipment or stocking fish tanks. He pays himself a salary out of the business and feels he earns enough to make a comfortable living. He will never go hungry; it is not many businesses where the owner can eat the inventory. JB has a skillet and filet knife right next to his office desk.
The following exhibit is the balance sheet for Fishy Farm.
December 31, 20×0
Total Current Assets
Long Term Assets
Fish Tanks (net)
Total Long Term Assets
Liabilities and Equity
Notes Payable ( 7.2% Line of Credit)
Total Current Liabilities
Total Long-Term Liabilities
Total Liabilities and Equity
Three years ago JB invested $75,000 in the business from savings he had built up over his last 10 years of work. He has always maintained a very disciplined life style and tried to save his money so he could reach his goal of owning his own business. He is happier being in a business he enjoys versus having a lot of money. He also likes to work outdoors and be able to set his own schedule. When he set up his business, since he was born and raised in the area, he was able to get good deals on the land and other assets that he purchased. JB also has had long term relations with the bankers and they gave him favorable rates on loans in the purchase of the land, buildings and equipment.
JB kept a list of activities the business was involved in during January.
JB wrote paid cash for the following activities:
· Monthly labor and salary $3,550
· Utility bill from December $440
· Monthly telephone $80
· Ralston Food Supplier (for a payment of a bill on fish food supplies purchased in December) $1,380
· Monthly property insurance $300
· Monthly medical insurance $1,250
· Eggs of all Kinds (for purchase of fish eggs and small fish for inventory purposes) $3,300
· Payment of $1,000 on the long-term note payable with $800 of the total going to interest on the loan.
· Payment of $1,500 on the mortgage with $300 of the total applied toward the principal balance.
JB received cash for the following activities:
· Sale of 20,000 fish to the state of Virginia for $14,250. The cost of those fish to JB were $6,800.
· Collection of an account receivable from Frank’s Fishing Pond for a sale from last year in the amount of $1,200. The cost of those fish sold were $500.
· Collection of $700 from Premier Game Fish as an advance payment for the sale of 300 of the best bass fish which will occur in March. Those fish will cost JB $250.
Some other activities JB was aware of during the month were:
· Monthly depreciation on the vehicle was $100, on the building was $750, on the fish tanks was $900 and the equipment was $500.
· $150 of prepaid advertising was used up.
· An advanced fish sale of $600 was completed with the cost of those fish equaling $200.
· Received January utility bill of $520
· Sale on account of 6,000 fish to the state of West Virginia for $5,000. The cost of those fish to JB were $2,000.
· Purchased on account from Game Fish Breeders an inventory of 10,000 baby bass for $1,400.
Note: For business purposes use an income tax rate of 40%.
1. Develop journal entries, in a proper format, for all of the accounting transactions in January for Fishy Farm.
2. Create an income statement for the month of January for Fishy Farm.
3. Reconstruct the balance sheet for Fishy Farm as of January 31, 20×1.
4. Identify and discuss issues that JB should be concerned about regarding taking over the accounting function of the business.
5. If you were a banker, would you lend money to Fishy Farm? Why or why not?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.